Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Map Quiz, Longitude, and Time Zones

Today in class, we took a quiz on a few maps. The maps were of Central America, South America, and North America. I found that having two different maps made it difficult for me to recall where each location was meant to be. I studied by playing some games, but I think trying to do the two different maps at once mixed me up. I felt more confident with the Central and North America map. Next, we discussed lines of longitude. A line of longitude is called a meridian. These meridians run north to south and measure east or west of the Prime Meridian. Lines of latitude also help to separate time zones. Greenwich, England is the center of the time zone separations. It acts as a zero degree mark. The earth is divided into twenty-four even regions of time zones. Every time zone is divided by country's or states. To the left of Greenwich, one hour is subtracted from the Greenwich time and so on for every region over. To the right of Greenwich, an hour is added every time you move over a region. That is how time zones are separated.

No comments:

Post a Comment